Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Vegetarian Cooking - Veggie spaghetti

I don't know about you, but each trip to the grocery store makes my debit card quiver with fear. groceries have gotten expensive. One way we are coping is to eat a few meatless meals each week.

Today's Offering is Vegeterain Spaghetti Sauce

From the outset I'll say that you can add meat and I often do to this sauce. But today, the store had some great looking veggies so we are meatless tonight. My sauce is home made


I used

2 15 oz cans stewed tomatoes
2 15 oz cans tomato sauce
1 12 oz can tomato paste
1 red bell pepper chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
4 cloves of garlic (we like garlic so you can add less or more
1 onion chopped
2 yellow squash diced
Mushrooms ( you won't see this in the pictures because some of us don't like mushrooms (I kno very very sad) so if there is no picture of the said fungus it can't be proven.
olive oil

I also used
thyme
oregeno
basil
marjoram
italian seasoning
and crushed red pepper

in a hot pan go twice around with the olive oil. Sautee the onions, peppers and squash. Then , once the onios are soft add the garlic. When the onions are almost opaque very stealthly add the mushrooms Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste (I don't use salt - the tomato products have enough

In a large sauce pot add your spices, and veggies. When the spice are fragrant add the canned tomatoes and then sauce and then paste - stirring well.

Let the sauce simmer over low for about two hours. I let mine go all afternoon - usually stirring every 45 minutes.

No comments: